Monday 18 March 2013

Quattro

I read a piece of article that's been shared on Facebook a lot lately, about happiness.  It says that there are two types of people in this world, namely, people who choose to be happy and those who choose to be unhappy.  While you'd think, "who in the world would choose unhappiness?", I think there are a huge number of people who do so, subconsciously. These people say that they do want happy, but are stuck in their own ways that make themselves unhappy. Maybe sometimes I'm one of them. I don't know. Maybe.

Anywho, here's a link to the article itself. The author also elaborated on 22 habits of happy people. So I'll go through them and see how they apply to me. Uh-oh.

1. Don't hold grudges.
Easier said than done.  Sometimes we're so stuck feeling victimised, we forget that the perpetrator is human too, subject to making mistakes and all that.  Would I say that I hold grudges? I'd be lying if I told you I didn't.  I'm learning to let go, though. Forgive, perhaps. Forget? Most definitely not.

2. Treat everyone with kindness.
I try to. Hahahaha... I'm generally a cheerful person to be around, I think. If I'm not, it's probably because I'm tired for some reason. Or PMS. Or when I'm impatient. Mehhh.

3. See problems as challenges.
Bullshit. When I see problems, I think "Ergh, why does this bull happen to me, of all people?" Because I'm such a perfect human being, nothing bad should ever happen to me. I'm being sarcastic, of course.  Some people think I'm serious when I'm being sarcastic and vice versa.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, that's what I believe.  Something in nature is going to challenge you to see what sort of a person you really are.  You either rise to the challenge or not.  Go hard or go home?

4. Express gratitude for what they already have.
I am thankful for all that I have.  I find myself actually very lucky to have what I have.  Do I want more? Sure, who doesn't? Perhaps I don't express my gratitude as much as I'd like to.  Hmm, work on this.

5. Dream big.
Hah!  Getting old has proven to me that not all is wonderful at the end of the rainbow. I do have certain goals I'd love to fulfill. A great career, a promising future, a cat maybe? I guess I was a bigger dreamer when I was a kid.  No, it's not because I was fatter. The harshness of reality cuts deep. I remember telling my parents that I wanted to quit college, join a rock band and tour overseas. Obviously, that didn't happen.

6. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Ask my best friends who have known me for many years, they'd tell you that I sweat ALL the small stuff.  I'm a worrier. It runs in the family. Not a good excuse, though.  Having said that, I do exude a much more calm disposition towards disasters nowadays.  Not giving a rat's ass about things is very refreshing.

7. Speak well of others.
I really wish I could, all the time. However, I'm always torn between telling the honest, gospel truth about people and lying to protect their..er...defects. Though nowadays, I won't bother telling people about why X or Y or Z is a bitch.  People will discover it in their own time. I just have to sit and wait.  Ratting off about others' bad attitude would only reflect my bad attitude.  I can only hope others will do the same for me. Heh.

To be continued.


No comments:

Post a Comment